Greater Ocala Dog Club, Inc. (GODC) welcomes you to our home on
the web, we hope you'll check back often for news and updates.
Our club, a member of The American Kennel Club, was formed in
1970 and incorporated in 1972. We are fortunate to own our property
in Marion County, Florida as a number of events are held annually
at this lovely location.
OCALA DOG CLUB, INC.
CLUB HISTORY AND CHRONOLOGY
In 1970 Ocala area dog fanciers decided to form an AKC all breed
dog club. Many of these folks were members of the Greater Gainesville
Dog Fanciers Association. An advertisement was placed in the Star
Banner newspaper inviting like minded people to join the endeavor.
Meetings were held at the National Guard Armory in Ocala.
Ocala Dog Club was incorporated as a not for profit corporation
in 1972. The signatories were President Ann Dill, Vice President
Ben Saxon, Secretary Dagmar Anderson and Treasurer John S. Pringle.
The board of directors were Myra Crabtree, Ann Berlett, Carole
J. McAteer, Cathy Saxon and Betty Schendler.
first AKC All-Breed dog show and obedience trial was held April
6, 1974, at College Park Elementary School. There were 1040 dogs
entered with a total of 1071 entries in 95 different breeds and
shows in the late 70ís were held at Golden Hills Academy on Highway
27, the last of these shows was held November 15, 1980.
1981 the club began using land leased from Marion County at Route
464 and 38th Street for shows held in April and November. Records
show members began looking for a minimum of 20 acres to purchase
in 1984. By 1986 there was much discussion of land to purchase.
acquisition of 20 acres on Old Gainesville Road by the Greater
Ocala Dog Club, Inc. occurred on November 20, 1986. The first
show site committee, appointed October 21, 1986, consisted of
Pete Copeland- Chairman, Doc Clark, Jack Tottle and Russell Hicks.
November 4, 1986, President Chuck Keefe announced proper zoning
for the land had been approved.
on the new property began in January 1987, cleaning and fencing
were the biggest endeavors. Pole barns were also added for protection
while showing dogs.
first AKC show at the club show grounds was held April 1987. The
entry for the next show, November 3, 1987, was 2191 dogs!
2, 1989, GODC purchased an additional 7.2 acres and on November
24, 1999, 12.98 acres was purchased. Giving the club a lovely,
oak studded 40 acres on which to hold dog shows.
Greater Ocala Dog Club is member club of the American Kennel Club.
with any club, members come and go, but the land gives us solidarity
and true purpose preserving a place for those of us who love dogs
and love showing them.